What Business School students can learn from Mark Zukerberg
Mark Zuckerberg is a success story like no one else’s! The founder of the most popular social networking site, Facebook, Zuckerberg is a self made billionaire with his assets estimated to be around 4 billion dollars! He had created Facebook from his Harvard dorm with a few other friends in 2004 and in a span of seven years, the number of registered users have grown remarkably to an astonishing 500 million users as of 2011!
However, his success did not come overnight and it is only because of his shrewd business policies that he was able to reach where he is right now. So, let us now examine the top 10 skills that one can learn and be inspired from Zuckerberg’s success story:
- Have a dream – Mark Zuckerberg’s journey to success began as a dream and a burning desire. This is what most successful entrepreneurs do – take some time off from their day to day activities and problems and sit back and dream about their future. As a Business School student you must give yourself time to dream and visualize a future that you want and only then will you feel the desire to achieve it.
- Be passionate about it and do it yourself – Be passionate about your dream! Zuckerberg was, he used to stay awake the entire night programming codes while all his friends were partying and now look at the result!, Your passion drives the Business
- Think long term – If there is one lesson that every entrepreneur must learn from Mark Zuckerberg, it should be – holding on to a long term idea for achieving success. Of course, not all such planning turns out to be successful, but thinking about the next 5 to 10 years will at least inspire the enterprise towards gaining a momentum and sticking to their visions. Business Schools should teach students on Long Term Vision.
- Be flexible and open to change – The main reason behind Facebook’s success was because of Zuckerberg’s flexibility and willingness to make alterations and changes to the website whenever needed. That is how your attitude should be open to change and flexible. Change is the mantra for Business Schools
- Think about development and not just about profits – Instead of aiming at profits, you should think of how to develop further. Zuckerberg never aimed at becoming a billionaire, he rather focused on how to improve Facebook. Continual improvement is one more important aspect of Business
- Pay attention to trends – Facebook has always kept up with the latest trends adding games, gifts and similar applications from time to time. This is a very wise thing to do, to integrate the latest trends in your own enterprise and only then can it continue to have the same appeal as before. Best Quote that would match with the above is when it comes to policy stand like a rock and when it comes to style be with the current, must be followed by Business School Students
- Invest wisely – You should know where and when to invest. Let us take the example of Zuckerberg’s friend, Eduardo Saverin with who had invested around $19000 initially and now his share has grown to almost $1.3 billion!, Yes learn taking calculated Risks in Business
- Be prepared for criticism – Just like every successful entrepreneur, Zuckerberg had had to face his share of criticisms too, be he refused to be bogged down by it. Instead it inspired him to work even harder! Don’t get dis-hearted by Criticism, take it as a stepping stone in Business
- Stick to things that you know and are certain of – Do not wander into unknown territories and always try to remain within your abilities. That is exactly what Zuckerberg and his friends did, they all stayed within their limits and skills and eventually achieved tremendous success. This often happens for freshers who move out of Business Schools avoid it.
- Finally, believe in yourself – Self belief is an essential requirement for every person who wants to be successful. Zuckerberg had plenty of it and therefore he did all the initial work himself and did not just hand over the responsibility to someone else. Yes Do It Yourself to Excel, nobody else can do it better than you.
In conclusion, what really is extraordinary about Mark Zuckerberg is he surely deserves his present position as the youngest billionaire in the world because he had the courage to dream and the desire to chase that dream. He did not shy away from taking risks and stuck to his passion and that is how and why he emerged so successful.
IGNOU MBA ADMISSIONS
Application forms for entrance test for admission to the MBA programme offered by the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) are now available for candidates. The last date for applying for the entrance test to be held on February 28 is January 20.
According to an IGNOU press release, admission to masters, bachelors, diploma and certificate programmes, without entrance test, for the January 2016 session is also on. The last dates for applying for these courses are December 31 (without late fee) and January 15 (with a late fee of Rs. 300). Further details can be had from the IGNOU Regional Office, Sikkandar Chavadi, Alanganallur Road, Madurai 625 018. Phone: 0452 2380733, 2380775. E-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org.
For IGNOU MBA Admissions 2016 refer to their website
Top Emerging Business Management Colleges in India
Hindustan Institute of Management and Computer Studies, Mathura
JRE Group of Institutions, Gr. Noida
Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi
Baddi University of Emerging Science & Technology, Baddi
International Institute of Management Studies, pune
International Management Institute, Bhubaneswar
Dayananda Sagar Colllege of Business Studies Bangalore
K.V Institute of Management and Information Studies, Coimbatore
Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies, Pune
Nehru College of Management, Coimbatore
Sona School of Management, Salem
Click on the attached link to get the entire survey
Best Business Schools for networking
Business school is just as much about making professional connections as it is about getting a business education.
These are the best business schools for networking
Source : Business Insider
Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai
Great Lakes Institute of Management (GLIM) http://www.greatlakes.edu.in is a premier business school in India.In short span of time it has moved amongst the top 10 business schools in India. This has been mainly because of its best in class faculty from best business schools in the world and its industry connections.
It was founded in 2004 by Bala V. Balachandran, a professor at Kellogg School of Management with its first campus in Chennai. Great Lakes’ second campus started functioning in Delhi NCR from 2011. Great Lakes offers full time and executive post graduate programmes in management. Great Lakes was accredited by AMBA,one of the three main global accreditation bodies, in 2014.
To become the leading management institution in India providing Quality Education at an affordable cost and build Human Capital for Emerging Economies.
To become A Centre of Excellence in fostering managerial leadership and entrepreneurship in the development of human potential through quality research, teaching, residential learning and professional management services.
Post Graduate Program in Management – PGPM
Post Graduate Diploma in Management – PGDM
Great Lakes has two campuses, one on the outskirts of Chennai and one in Gurgaon, Delhi NCR.
Admissions Website : http://www.greatlakes.edu.in
Bharathidasan Institute of Management
Bharathidasan Institute of Management Tiruchirappalli http://bim.edu or BIM-Trichy is one of the top Indian business schools, established in 1984 in Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India. The school offers AICTE approved full-time MBA program, doctoral programs, and many executive education programs. The college is consistently ranked among the top 20 Business Schools of the country ever since its inception
A twentieth century Tamil poet, Bharathidasan was born in Puducherry (earlier Pondicherry) as Subburathinam. He was deeply influenced by the Tamil poet and freedom fighter, Mahakavi Subramania Bharathi, who mentored him and hence named himself Bharathidasan. A participant in the Indian independence movement, he opposed the British and the French. He was imprisoned for voicing his views against the French Government that was ruling Pondicherry at that time. A poet in his own right, writing mostly on socio-political issues like caste, women’s liberation and rationalism, Bharathidasan was one of the key figures in the Dravidian rationalist movement. He was called ‘Puratchi Kavingyar’ by the great rationalist leader and social reformer, Periyar E V Ramaswami.
He remained a prolific writer and poet till he died in 1964. He was awarded the Sahitya Academy Award posthumously.
One among his famous lines is ‘Arivai virivu sei, agandamakku’ meaning “Expand Knowledge – make it universal”. Named after this great poet, it has been BIM’s endeavor to expand and universalize knowledge.
Master of Business Administration – MBA
Bharathidasan Institute of Managemen Address MHD Complex, BHEL Campus, TIRUCHIRAPPALLI – 620 014
Admission Website ; http://bim.edu
VIT Business School Chennai
VIT Business School ( http://bschool.vit.ac.in ) fast emerging as a premier management institution located at Chennai, with an unstinted commitment to the ever changing needs of the industry. The School has a system of continuously restructuring the curriculum, admission procedures and teaching-learning processes which have made the courses highly responsive to the challenges of a rapidly changing era. Be it academic excellence, innovative research projects, co-curricular achievements or placement records, each successive batch has been outperforming its predecessors, thereby raising the bar.
To Groom and Mentor Business-ready Managers and Entrepreneurs who are Socially-sensitive and Globally-aware.
To be among the top 20 B-Schools in India by 2020
Values and Beliefs
We believe in active participation by the students and practice action-learning methods of imparting knowledge.
We believe in the use of technology to improve teaching & learning effectiveness.
We believe in partnering with outside agencies to manage the education value chain that include knowledge creation and dissemination.
We stand for the value of humility, honesty and hard work.
Two year MBA (fully residential)
Ph.D in Management (full time and part time)
VIT Business School College Campus is in Vandalur- Kelambakkam Road Chennai and Vellore
Admission Website : http://bschool.vit.ac.in
Amrita School of Business Coimbatore
Amrita School of Business (https://www.amrita.edu) is located at Coimbatore. The institute is situated in 330-acres of land.The institute was established in 2003. The major facilities are library with more than 13,000 titles, 187 current subscriptions to journals, more than 6300 e-journals in full-text and 1922 back volumes, three IT hubs with more than 150 desktops, separate hostels for girls and boys, sports facilities, medical facility, canteen, general store, banking facilities etc. The faculty and students of the institute undertake various research publications like effects of direct to consumer advertising of prescription drugs on prices, the effect of direct advertising to consumers(DTCA) on market share and quantity in pharmaceutical drugs, and consumer welfare.
Master of Business Administration – MBA
PhD in Management
Amrita School of Business College is in Amrita Nagar, Coimbatore Tamilnadu India
Admission Website : https://www.amrita.edu
Loyola Institute of Business Administration
Loyola Institute of Business Administration (LIBA) –http://liba.edu , established in 1979, is one of India’s premier management institutes. Consistently ranked among the best business schools in the country, LIBA represents the unflagging zeal for education that is a unique characteristic of the Jesuit Society. LIBA is a Jesuit institution under the aegis of Loyola College Society, Chennai.
• Respect for the individual
Post Graduation Diploma in Management
Ph.D. Degree in Business Administration
Master of Buisness Administration – MBA
Executive Diploma programmes
These are short-term programmes for working professionals who wish to enhance their skills in their chosen profession.LIBA offers diploma programmes in the following areas.
* Banking Management
* Financial Management
* Human Resource Management
* International Business
* Marketing Management
* Logistics and Supply Chain Management
* Retail Management
* Financial Analysis
Loyola Institute of Business Administration College Campus : Nungambakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Admission Website : http://liba.edu